There’s nothing more annoying than having uninvited guests at home. And the Cockroaches top that list. They crawl all over your place and find their place almost everywhere – in your kitchen, bathroom, and other living space. The real problem starts when they start multiplying. And numbers don’t stop until you do something about it. In this blog, we give you tips to get rid of these pesky pests from your home.
Super Easy Ways to Get Rid of Cockroaches
1. Clean Your Home Thoroughly: You can start with sanitizing your place. Sanitizing lowers chances of your place getting infested by roaches. If your place is already infested, make sure you sanitize every nook and crevice – as they are the most desired place for their breeding.
The following steps you could start with-
- Wash dishes immediately after meals
- Regularly take out the garbage
- Seal food in containers
- Add disinfectors to water and mop the floors regularly
- Dry any damp area in your home
- Cover the areas where you think cockroaches possibly sneak from
- Keep your stove and kitchen floors from grease and stale food
2. Use Baking Soda: Apart from preparing cakes and pancakes, baking soda is also used to remove those pesky pests from home. Yeah! Baking soda has the potential to drive away from the roaches. It works best with a combination of sugar. Mix baking soda with an equal amount of sugar and put this mixture in a shallow bowl filled with water. Place this bait near cockroach-infested areas.
The significance of baking powder and sugar is that sugar attracts the roaches, whereas baking soda kills them. Repeat this process until your place is cockroach-free.
3. Use Catnip: Catnip is a plant with the chemical compound called ‘nepetalactone’ that acts as a cockroach repellant. Therefore catnip is one of those plants that cockroaches absolutely loathe. You can boil the leaves with water and sprinkle the solution or place plain leaves near where cockroaches wander.
4. Use Boric Acid: Boric acid is quick to make any cockroaches succumb to it. You can either prepare a boric acid solution at home or buy from stores. Mix boric acid with water and sugar and sprinkle the solution where cockroaches tend to crawl. You can also dust the plain boric acid on the floor and tick roaches into walking on them. When the boric acid gets inside the cockroach’s body, it impairs its digestive and nervous system leading to its fatal. One interesting fact about this method is that when another cockroach eats the dead one, it dies from toxicities. This cycle repeats and thus helps in reducing the number of cockroaches.
5. Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth: Diatomaceous earth is the most natural pesticide. It’s a white powder made from the remains of diatoms. It’s non-toxic to humans and toxic to roaches. It kills the pests the moment roaches contract them. It also kills various pests that include bed bugs, fleas, roaches, ants within 48 hours of ingestion.
Mix a little cocoa flour with diatomaceous earth and lightly dust the powder where you usually see the roaches. The cockroach shares the bait with other cockroaches as well, thus killing many at once.
6. Spray Essential Oils: There are many essential oils that both repel and kill cockroaches. One of the advantages of using essential oils is that they have a soothing aroma, and have relaxing properties.
- Essential oils that repel roaches: Peppermint oil, oregano oil, catnip oil
- Essential oils that kill roaches: Rosemary oil, cedar oil, eucalyptus oil.
- Each of these oils has its property to keep away the cockroaches. You can easily prepare these essential oils at home to keep the cockroaches away.
7. Bay Leaves: It is one of the best natural cockroach repellents. These leaves are readily available in stores or online. Crush the leaves and make them into a powder and place near the place where cockroaches inhibit. These naturally repel the roaches as they can’t stand the scent of the essential oil released by the bay leaves.
These are the best home remedies for cockroaches. If you continue to face serious problems related to insect control, check this natural pest repellent to extricate the cockroaches right away.